Friday, November 10, 2017

Day 63 - November 11, 2017 - 56.74 miles, 121 feet ascent, 135 feet descent 

Perry, FL to Ichetucknee Springs, FL

Wow, was it cold last night - it was only the second time during this entire epic adventure that I zipped up my down sleeping bag - most of the time I sleep on top of it, and I might just pull the cover over me.  Brrr - the cold was coming up through my Thermarest pad.  Makes it kind of difficult to sleep.

In any case, Tom R, Eileen, and I rode out this morning at about 0740.  We immediately ran into a headwind, so we started taking turns drafting, one mile each.  Not only did it help with the wind, as we took turns taking the load, but it also helped make the miles go by faster, seemingly.  Our first stop was just outside of Mayo, at a gas station convenience store.  I was just a bit hungry, so I had the biscuits and gravy, with a large spicy sausage link - all very good.   We rode a few more miles, and came into the town of Mayo, where we came across the famous Great Southern Biscuit Company.  This cafe was about five miles after our previous stop, but the rest of our group was already stopped there, so we stopped in as well (Ken had caught up with us, so the four of us joined the other five at the cafe.). 

I only ordered a muffin, but when I saw the ham and egg sandwiches on the famous biscuits, I had to have one of those as well.  We seem to be eating our way across Florida, or even across the USA, for that matter!

We caught up with Neal, so now there were five of us.  Neal typically rides by himself, and slower than the rest of us.  We convinced him to join in our our "paceline," and he did really well.  He had never done this before, and he seemed to enjoy it.  It sure beats fighting the wind by yourself.

Eventually, the five of us made it to Ichetucknee Springs Family Camp, set up camp, and cleaned up.  After a couple adult beverages, we went for a short walk into the Ichetucknee Springs State Park across the street, to the head spring of the Ichetucknee River.  Beautiful springs, 72 degrees year round, crystal clear.  For divers, it is a once in a lifetime experience, but I don't dive, so I can't speak to that.   Eileen convinced Tom and I to kayak with her tomorrow, so we made reservations, for which the cost was included in this trip.

While at the springs, we got the call to dinner over our group chat, so we quickly headed back.  Dinner was BBQ chicken and ribs, brought in from a local guy who does this for bicyclists and other campers.  After dinner, as always, it was early to bed!   The temperature was much more pleasant than the previous night, so sleeping wasn't so bad!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your trip. Glad you all had a marker event and a safe adventure.

    ReplyDelete