Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Day 59 - November 7, 2017 - 82.46 miles, 528 feet ascent, 502 feet descent

Destin, FL to Panama City FL

Breakfast at 0600, and one of our neighbors, Priscilla, brought over a pot of coffee, and creamer for those who indulge in such.  Priscilla is a full time RVer, and was very intrigued about our journey.  She is a self-described wanderer, and was so inspired from talking to a few members of our group last night that she wanted to do something special for us.   This is how it has been through much of our journey - bike trail angels taking care of us!   Prescilla engaged in conversation with each of us, and I was happy that others in our group acknowledged that RVers are very nice people!  (I know, because Dianne and I experience the same thing!)

We followed US 90 and County Road 30 for most of the day.  I departed the State Park with Eileen, after we rode our bikes to the boardwalk and took a walk down to the beach. Wow, the water is so clear!  We rode through the resort areas of Destin, Sandestin, Water Color, Seaside, Seagrove Beach, and on to Panama City Beach and Panama City (two different cities).

While on Route 30A, we came across some bridge construction, which detoured us back to US 90, and then back to the beaches, about five miles added to our day.  No worries, we are up for it.  Unbeknownst to us, some of our group muscled their way through the construction zone, while we asked permission and were denied.  This detour allowed for Ken to catch up with Eileen and I, as we rode toward Watercolor, where all the buildings were pastel colors, just like watercolors.  Just beyond was a row of Airstream trailer food trucks, where we stopped for a brief lunch.  After lunch, I dropped Ken and Eileen (they were to slow), and pushed on toward Panama City Beach.  Lots of empty high rise hotels and condos along the way - empty because this is the off season.  There are also a lot of roadside businesses closed for the season.  Many were open, however.  Panama City Beach is trying to become a destination resort, but they have a lot of work to do.  So many run down areas, and then there are the tourist shops that have jumped the shark.  (You will have to Google that phrase, if you are not familiar with it!)

While in Panama City Beach, I pulled out my swim trunks and went for a dip in the Gulf waters.  I couldn't believe how warm the water was - about 80 degree, and crystal clear.   I misjudged the time and distance to our destination in Panama City, another 16 miles away.  I also did not account for my Garmin misdirecting me, and taking me way off track.  So, for a ride that should have been 65 miles, I rode 82.  I arrived at the Day's Inn at 1700 exactly, just before dark.  I should have had a headlight, but it was in the bottom of one of my panniers.  My rear light was on, so at least I was visible to drivers coming from behind.  The last several miles were the toughest, as I was low on water.  Yes, I could have stopped any time, as there were plenty of businesses along the way, but I was pressed for time, and needed to finish today's ride quickly.

I showered quickly upon arrival, and we departed as a group for Sonny's BBQ restaurant across the street.  I tried to commence getting back into a healthy eating mode by ordering a salad, but ruined it with the apple cobbler.  Darn, I will have to ride more miles to work it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment