Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Day 60 - November 8, 2017 - 56.1 miles, 253 feet ascent, 220 feet descent

Panama City, FL to Apalachicola, FL

The Day's Inn in Panama City is right on US 98.  Departing the hotel after breakfast, I rode US 98 southward through city through the urban area, with no shoulder.  This is one of the few places throughout the entire ride that made me nervous.  After a few miles, the route turned east, and entered Tyndall AFB, where a very ice shoulder appeared.  It was a nice, straight, flat ride through the base.  I could hear the jets readying for take-off, but never saw them.  Riding past the inhabited area of the base, the road kept going, for miles and miles, straight as an arrow and flat as a Florida swamp.  This part of today's ride was truly boring.  Twenty miles into the ride, the trees opened up, and I came into the small town of Mexico Beach.  We had agreed as a group to stop in Mexico beach and regroup, and perhaps go for a swim.   Some of the other riders had messaged that they were at Beacon Hill Park, mile 23, so I rode ahead, missed the turn and rode to mile 24 before I realized it.  I turned around, found the Veterans Park, then found the two others who arrived prior to me.  The park was very nice, with showers, covered picnic area, and free open wi-fi.  

Soon Tom R and Joe arrived, and joined Tom C, Erwin, and I.  I had kept my swim trunks and sandals accessible, so I changed clothes, and four of us headed to the beach.  The water was cooler than yesterday, and the water was not as clear.  The sugary white sand beach had some organic debris and seashells, unlike yesterday's beach.  This means we are getting closer to what some call the armpit of Florida, where the north shore meets the west shore.  The locals in the area would not appreciate that term, as they are very proud of their beaches.  I lounged in the cool waters for about 30 minutes, and decided to head back.  It wasn't the water, but rather the sun that doesn't agree with me.  Wow, was it bright!

Moving on, we departed Beacon Hill.  I rode ahead of everyone else to the small town of Port St. Joe, where the five of us stopped at McDonalds for lunch (not many choices).  After lunch, I again rode ahead alone, with Joe and Tom R taking a longer route to Apalachicola. My route took me through more pulp tree forests, along the straight and flat US 98 (what else is new?), miles and miles of straight flat tree-lined road....

Arriving in Apalachicola, I found the Rancho Inn, our accommodations for the evening.  I promptly took out my tent, rain fly, and footprint, and hung them over the railing at the pool.  The tent was still wet from two days ago at Henderson Beach State Park.  I hate to let it go overnight, but I got in to yesterday's hotel after dark, and there was nowhere to dry it out.  When I went back out to take it in, after it was dry, a solo rider came up and introduced himself.  Jon Eggert Gudmudsson, from Iceland, is riding from Mobile, Alabama, to Miami, where he lives and works.  It was fun talking to Jon and learning about his trip.

Dinner found us at the Seafood Grill in downtown Apalachicola.  After dinner, a few of our group went to a raw oyster bar, while I went with a couple others to the Bowery Station, where they had live music.  It all ended at 2030, so time to ride back to the motel and rest up for tomorrow.

The signs below are from the Seafood Grill.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment